Thursday, December 7, 2006

ii

The day didn’t suit Kate’s mood at all. It was too sunny and cheerful. She had dropped Jo off at Lucy’s place straight after breakfast. She wanted him to spend as much time with other children as possible. Sam was supposed to be back at school today, but Lucy had kept him home so that he could play with Jo. They had become good pals. Kate and Lucy watched them play together for a while as they were talking. They seemed to understand each other perfectly, even without words. “I’ll see you around 5.30” Kate said to Lucy as she waved goodbye. Jo had given her the briefest kiss and had raced back to play.

Ben had still been asleep when she had left, but he was waiting for her when she returned. He jumped into the car with a small picnic basket, “Tim gave me the heads up on a beautiful spot for a picnic. Turn left at the end of the driveway.” She turned up the driveway again, “don’t you have to get back to Melbourne?” Kate asked. “Not just yet,” he replied and squeezed her knee, “cheer up, Kate, and let’s just enjoy ourselves a little longer.” Kate smiled, Ben sure knew how to make a girl feel good, “so where are we headed?” Ben smiled mischievously and replied cryptically, “You’ll see when we get there, take the next right. They were heading towards the coast, Ben rolled his window down; summer was in the air today. Kate flicked on the radio and hummed along. Ben gave her directions every so often and they were soon approaching their destination. “Take a right and park anywhere,” Ben instructed. Kate closed the car door and stretched; as she looked around she saw that it was a beautiful spot. They were in a scrubby patch and there were a few wildflowers about. Ben lifted the picnic rug and basket from the car and took Kate’s hand with his free one, “this way,” he said and led her along a narrow sandy path. It went uphill slightly. “Now I’m sure that Tim said it was just here,” he stopped and Kate stood beside him. There was sand stretching out as far as the eye could see in both directions and the sea was brilliantly sparkling. “Wow!” Kate breathed, “This is amazing.” The beach was deserted and there was the slightest breeze blowing. It was a perfect day. Ben set up the rug and began pulling things out of the basket bread, cold meat, cheese, salad and fruit. He poured tea from the thermos, “Caroline told me that you didn’t have time for your cup of tea this morning,” he said as he passed her the steaming cup. Kate took a sip of the hot tea and inhaled its fragrance, “you’re an angel.” Ben smiled, “you are such a pleasure to treat,” he jested. She just smiled and took another sip of her tea.

They had eaten and were reclining side by side on the rug. Kate didn’t want this moment to end, but she knew that they didn’t have much time left. “Kate?” Ben broke the silence and she looked at him inquisitively. He brushed her cheek with his fingertips, “I will remember this moment for as long as I live. I love you so much.” Kate kissed him softly, “you have become so precious to me Ben. I won’t ever forget any of this perfect weekend.” It was almost time to go and they packed up reluctantly. They went for a short walk along the beach and then turned back to the car. Kate drove back to the farm, they barely exchanged a word. There were no words to describe how they were feeling at that moment. When they arrived back at the farm Ben’s things were all ready and his small bag replaced the basket and rug. He asked Tim to take a photo of them with his digital camera. They held one another in a close embrace, neither one of them wanting to let the other go. The pain of their parting was almost too much to bear….

Kate had stood at the end of the porch a full ten minutes after the car had disappeared, and she was still there when a dark blue Barina came up the drive, followed by a police patrol car. ‘So this is my new car,’ she thought to herself as she waved and approached the now stationary car. A uniformed police officer emerged from the vehicle, “Are you Kate McBride?” he asked. “The one and only,” she replied and stretched out her hand. “P.C. Smith gave us a good description of you, though he said that your hair was longer and fairer,” he said as he shook her hand firmly. “It was until Saturday,” Kate replied. He handed her a fat yellow envelope, “everything that you’ll need is in there,” he said matter-of-factly. “There are also contact details for an officer in every capital city and rural centre, should you need our assistance,” he then handed her the car keys, “Well that’s about it. Take care, Ms McBride.” Kate took the keys with her free hand, “I will, thank you.” He got into the squad car and left. Kate stood there staring at the car, and then she looked at the package, it contained her new life. She took it to her room and opened it; two passports, driver’s license, Medicare card, credit card and fuel card, two birth certificates, healthcare card and a few pieces of paper. Kate leaned back on the bed and made herself comfortable. It was time to acquaint herself with her new life.

It did her head in. She was now Julie Barnes, born in Warrnambool, April 12, 1980, married at 23, divorced at 25, just 8 months ago, she noted. She had reverted to her maiden name. Her ex-husband was Michael Wilson, car dealer in Enfield, South Australia. All the documents looked so real, she couldn’t believe that this was really happening. She would never have imagined that she’d join the witness protection program. Jo was now her son, born August 5th 1999, way before she was married, teenage mother. She had dropped out of school and worked as a check-out-chick. It was there that she had met her husband, fresh produce. She took a deep breath. This wasn’t going to be easy. She looked at the police contact list, P.C. Moore was her Melbourne contact, and Ben’s name wasn’t on the list. “Ben”, she murmured under her breath, she wished she had his confidence in herself. Caroline knocked and poked her head into the room, “cup of tea?” she asked. “That sounds lovely,” Kate stowed the things back in the envelope and put it in her bag. Then she followed Caroline down the hall.

“How long can you and Jo stay?” Caroline inquired as she poured the tea, “We love having you here.” Kate smiled, “only till the end of the week. Thank you so much for having us. You and Bob are wonderful hosts.” Caroline smiled back and sipped her tea. Kate finished her tea soon after and got up from the table, “I should go and pick up Jo,” she said. “No, sit right back down,” Caroline instructed and refilled her teacup, “Lucy and the kids are coming for tea, they’ll be here soon.” Almost immediately they heard the front door being opened and Lucy call, “Mum, you in?” The kids ran through the house and straight out the back in the direction of the pine trees. The ladies laughed, “They’ll be headed for the tree house,” Lucy sat down and Caroline poured her a cup of tea, “thanks Mum. I remember spending hours down there when I was their age!” She sipped her tea and then turned to Kate, “that Jo is such a good kid,” she said, “I barely notice his silence now. I think you have an intelligent one there.” Kate nodded, “Yes, I think you’re right, he picked up the reading pretty fast.” Lucy stared, “He couldn’t read? How long ago was this?” Kate smiled, “Just a few weeks ago,” she nodded, “I know, took me by surprise too.” Caroline excused herself and went into the kitchen to finish the dinner preparations. They were having spaghetti tonight. It was the kid’s favourite. Kate and Lucy sat at the table talking quietly. Lucy was a calming influence on Kate, and she began to feel normal again.

The kids were playing a game of trouble on the floor, and the dog had retreated to Bob’s feet. The noise of the bubble dice obviously bothered him. Lucy laughed, “that old Rex is a true grouch.” Bob laughed too, “I think he has a right to be at his age!” They all laughed then. Kate loved being with the Joneses. They were so easy going and friendly. Kate could see where Sarah had gotten her warped sense of humour too. “So where you headed next?” asked Tim. “I’m not really certain yet,” replied Kate, “I guess I just figured that since I lost my job, I finally have the chance to explore my home state.” Lucy nodded, “I saw your hire car outside. You know, you should do the Grand Ridge Road, it’s great.” Bob agreed, “it’s a little tricky in parts, but well worth it, I assure you.” Kate nodded, “I’ll keep it in mind.” Caroline sighed, “We can’t travel, with the cows and all. I can’t remember when we last had a holiday.” Tim laughed, “I’ve been trying to convince them to take a break for months, but do you think they will listen to me?” Kate also laughed, “It’s a parent’s prerogative, I’m afraid, but you guys should seriously consider it. I’m sure Tim could manage the farm in your absence.” Tim nodded his agreement. “I’ve always wanted to visit Tasmania again,” Caroline, said wistfully, “we spent our honeymoon there in 1973.” Bob laughed, “I’ll drop by Stan’s tomorrow then.” Stan was the local travel agent. “About time!” Tim exclaimed, “Thanks, Kate.” Kate smiled, “glad I could be of some assistance.” There was a whoop from the children. Sam was victorious. Lucy got up, “come on kids, say goodnight to your grandparents and Uncle Tim. It’s time to go home.”

Kate read Jo a story and he was almost asleep by the time she had finished. She sat on the edge of his bed for some time, and watched him sleep. ‘How could anyone have wanted to hurt you?’ she thought, ‘It must have been a heartless person indeed.’ Kate shivered and then promised herself that she would do all that she could to protect him. Jo was all that mattered now. She had mourned her former life and farewelled her friends and family. She was Julie now, and Jo was her precious son. She had given up everything for him. A stray tear slid down her cheek and she brushed it aside. She had done with tears. She prepared for bed, and then sat up in bed for a while. Ben would just be starting work now. She ached to have him beside her. More than anything she wanted to talk to him. She had an idea, ‘perhaps I can talk to him.’ She got out of bed and went to her suitcase, she was sure there was a pad of paper in there. There was, she pulled a pen from her bag and went back to bed. ‘My dearest Ben,’ she began, ‘I was longing so much to talk to you that I thought I would pen a few lines. I will give this to Caroline to post for me once I have left. I still haven’t decided where we will go next, though I am thinking that I will head to Sale. I have a good reason for this, but won’t explain it now. I know in my head that Australia Post is reliable, but in my gut I just feel like I can’t be too careful.

‘Oh, how I wish you were beside me tonight. I miss you already and it’s barely been half a day! You will be at work now and I should be asleep, but I couldn’t until I had “spoken” to you, my love. I can feel my inner strength slowly building up. The car came soon after you left, and I am acquainting myself with my new life. I wonder if you have been told what my new identity is? I will always treasure the precious moments we spent together these past few days. I have never felt so strongly about anyone, nor has anyone made me feel so special and loved. Even if I never see you or touch you again, I will remember you forever. Your smell lingers on my scarf and I will never see the sun rise or set again without thinking of you. You are a very special person and I feel so blessed that you came into my life. If I had the choice, I would spend the remainder of my days with you, but I know that that is too much to hope for. Instead, I will relive our four brief days together over and over again in my memories and dreams.
‘As I watched Jo sleep this evening, I strengthened my resolve to do everything in my power to keep him safe. He is my only priority now. Ben, I don’t ask that you save your heart for me. I know how you feel about me and that is all that matters now. I am reminded of my favourite love song. It is by the French band, Air, and I will finish this letter with their words. I love you Ben….’
Never been here, how about you?
You smile at my answer
You’ve given me the chance
To be held and understood.
Leave me laughing, without crying
There’s no use denying
Though many times I’ve tried
Love has never felt this good
Be it downtown, or way up in the air
When your heat’s pounding,
You know that I’m aware
You make it easy, to watch the world with love
You make it easy, to let the past be done
You make it easy
How’d you do it? How’d you find me?
How did I find you?
How can this be true?
To be held and understood?
Keep it coming, no ones running
These lessons I’m learning
‘Cause blessings are deserved
By the trust that always could
Be it downtown, or way up in the air
When your heat’s pounding,
You know that I’m aware
You make it easy, to watch the world with love
You make it easy, to let the past be done
You make it easy
You make it easy, to watch the world with love
You make it easy, to let the past be done
You make it easy, so watch me fall in love
As soon as Kate had finished the letter and folded it up she could feel sleep creeping up on her. In no time at all she was peacefully sleeping. She hadn’t slept so peacefully in days….

Meanwhile Ben was back at work. It wasn’t easy as his thoughts continually strayed back to Kate and Jo. His whole body ached to be beside Kate. He longed to feel her heartbeat and to smell her skin. “What’s up with you?” his partner for the evening, P.C. Roberts, asked. “Nothing,” Ben replied unconvincingly, “just thinking.” P.C. Roberts shrugged, “Well, whatever it is you’d better put it aside. There’s been a break-in at a premises on High Street, Northcote and we’re closest.” Ben tried to push Kate to the back of his mind, but it was only partially successful. P.C. Roberts was driving and switched on the lights and siren as he sped up. Ben picked up the radio; “this is unit two, estimated time of arrival at scene, four minutes.” It was going to be a long night….

1 comment: